Wednesday, November 11, 2009

MY DAMASK FABRIC!

I have been doing research for a while now on where to find the best deals on damask fabric.

The consensus among fellow damask brides was that damask fabric was damn near impossible to find in person and thus you must order it online...The popular vote was to get your fabric for $6.98/yard via Warehouse Fabrics.


This is the pattern I picked out from their site that I loved the most:



Traditions Black & White Damask


By the time you factor in tax and shipping costs, the fabric was going to end up costing me an arm and a leg!
So I thought it was about time I find a use for etsy...Since I seem to be the only bride who isn't obsessed with that site!

A quick search on that site, and lo and behold, SEVERAL sellers willing to custom make my table runners in the black and white traditions damask fabric with a fuchsia border!
Some of the sellers were reasonably priced...Others were a bit more extravagant.

I decided that I should check my local stores to double check that they do not sell damask fabric. And if they do sell it, I need to see the costs per yard...Plus factor into it all of the labor and time on my part...I am quite crafty, but not a great sewer. So I began to wonder if it would be better to have one of these more professional etsy sellers make my runners.


Well, Jon and I had today off from work and we went to Joann's Fabrics to look for our damask fabric (Read: "Jon and I had to do some errands, and since we happened to be near Joann's Fabrics, I brought him in kicking in screaming to find the damask fabric I want.")



I found an extremely similar fabric, but I guess not 100% exact:



But I still love it!

AND it is usually $9.99/yard but was on sale for $6.99/yard!!
My Mom had a coupon that I could use on top of the sale price...But I didn't have the coupon with me. So I decided to just grab 3 yards of the fabric while it was on sale.
And I can play with this and see if I can even make a decent looking table runner or not...If so, then I can go back and buy more fabric. Especially now that I know that it exists.
Also, they didn't have nearly enough fabric in the store today...But the lady said they can order more for me. So that's good.


So for 3 yards of fabric WITH tax (and no shipping, yay!) the total came to $22.81

I don't know the width of the fabric...But I know that it is much wider than the runners will be.
I also am not positive of the table sizes at our venue...So we might need more than 3 yards a runner...Or we might need less. I don't know.

But let's just say hypothetically that 3 yards a runner is what we will need...And the width can be cut in half...So we can make 2 runners out of every 3 yards of fabric (2 runners for $22.81 not counting the cost of the outlining ribbon)

And if 8 people sit at a table and we have 150 guests...That's 18.75 tables. So say 19 tables...Or maybe make that 20 so we have one for the cake table.

And if $22.81 makes 2 runners than we need to divide 20 by 2...Which equals 10

And 10 x $22.81 = $228.10

Sooooo 20 runners will equal about $230...Give or take a few dollars based on possible coupons and ribbon costs.

I don't think that is horrible...The average etsy prices were over $200...

But I guess that is an unnecessary wedding cost...But it totally completes my dream vision.

PLUS when I brought the fabric to show my Grandma, an 87 year old who worked as a seamstress practically her whole life, totally volunteered to make all of my runners.
And my ring bearer pillow and flower girl basket...And whatever other projects I decide to use this fabric for.
So that makes me really excited.

And now I feel like even if any etsy seller could be cheaper, that Gramma might get insulted that I didn't think she would do a good job or something.
I think this will be a great personalization for the wedding. And it will be sentimental that Gramma took so much time to do it for us.

We have a little over 9 months until the wedding...So if we get started soon, she can have a nice relaxed pace and take her time making them...Instead of making her feel rushed and stressed.

So once I get the table measurements from the venue, I should go back and get more fabric while it is on sale...Or make sure they order more for me, so we have plenty of time for it to come in.
Because I can totally see them like discontinuing the fabric or something before I have bought everything I need. And that would suck big time.

No comments:

Post a Comment