Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Beginning

I guess I should start out by telling the story of how Jon and I met.
It is kind of a long story...So get comfortable, sit back, and be prepared to read for a while.


After having horrible luck with relationships...And having one horrendous boyfriend after an other, I decided to create a match.com profile for fun.
So I created one of the free accounts, not the one you pay for. And I looked at it for a couple of days, and then pretty much just forgot about it.

A year later I just happened to remember that I had a match.com account and decided to check it out.
I saw that I had been "winked at" by a couple of guys.
(For anyone who does not know, being "winked at" is just like being "poked" on FaceBook...It sends you a notification that someone let you know they checked out your profile, but essentially does not do anything.)

So I checked out the list of guys who had "winked" at me...And I see this one really cute guy named Jon. I "winked" back at him, but had assumed it was too late since he winked at me a year prior.
To my surprise, he "winked" back at me again!
However, since we both only had free accounts, there was nothing else we could do, no way to communicate or anything. Thus, I assumed that was where it would end.

One day I received a message on my MySpace that said something like, "Hey this is Jon from Match.com...I thought we could talk on here since it is free."
I was so surprised that he had bothered to search the Internet for my name and location to see if he could find me.
So we wrote a couple of messages back and forth on MySpace for a couple of days and then started chatting on AIM.
After a while of chatting on AIM, I eventually gave him my phone number.

Neither of us were too sure about the whole idea of meeting someone off the Internet in person.

But after about a month of talking on the phone I felt like I had known him forever and really wanted to meet him in person.
So one day my coworkers were talking about going to Saranac Thursday Night after work...Which is an outdoor concert where you drink Saranac beer and hang out and listen to the band playing. I had never gone to one of these events and wanted to try it out...I also thought this would be a good opportunity to finally meet Jon. My reasoning was that I would go with friends, and he would go in a separate car with friends, and there would be hundreds of people there...Just in case he was some kind of psycho serial killer.

So I called Jon up and asked him if we wanted to meet up there after work.
And that is when we met in person for the first time.

The first thing I thought the first time I saw him was, "Wow, he is short!" (If you ask him the first thing he thought about me, he will say the same thing.)
I am 5 feet tall...And my prior boyfriends have always been like 6 feet tall. I had worn like 3 or 4 inch heels that day.
I was not expecting a guy who was only like 5'4"!
I felt bad and kept taking my shoes off and walking barefoot, in case he was feeling awkward.

But after a couple of minutes I didn't even notice his height anymore.
All I saw was that he was really nice and really cute. (And really shy...I later came to find out he is just a naturally quiet guy...Which is fine because I talk enough for the both of us!)

So we hung out there for a couple of hours. Then Jon drove me to his apartment where we watched a movie with his roommates. Since I didn't have a car, Jon drove me home.
However, I was fairly new to the area so I was not sure how to get to my house.
We got so lost I had to end up calling my Mom and waking her up, to have her explain directions to get to my house!

Now I thought for sure Jon must have thought I was the biggest idiot in the world...Who doesn't know how to get to their house?! I was almost positive that I would never see Jon again.

So I gave him a hug and thanked him for the ride home...I then sat in my room the rest of the night pouting about how Jon would never want anything to do with me again.

But to my surprise we talked the next day. And went to the movies a few days later.
We saw "Shrek 3" and I guess that was our first official date.

We hung out constantly for the next couple of weeks.

Then on the night of June 10, 2007 we were talking on the phone and Jon randomly asked me, "So, what's our status?"
I wasn't 100% sure what he was asking me...But then I realized that was his way of asking me to be his girlfriend!
I obviously said that I would Love to be his girlfriend.
And we have been happily dating ever since!
We also joke that he only keeps me around because I make him feel tall. :)

And to think...Had I checked my Match.com account sooner, we could have been dating a whole year sooner!


No comments:

Post a Comment